If I told you to go, right now, stand in front of a mirror, naked, and say to yourself , "I love you, I love you, I love you" ...what is the first thing that comes up for you?
Did you get all revved up and start stripping while running to a mirror?
Or did you cringe and say "oh hell no"?
Self-love is a complex, intricate and ever an evolving practice.
Loving, respecting and honouring yourself can be found in the smallest of moments, and in the biggest of gestures, and everything in between.
Self-love is found in the decisions we make, the things that we do, that ways we interact, the way we think, the way we speak and the way we react, all hold space for self-love to be expressed, or withheld.
I didn't realize how intricate self-love really was until I started to lean into my healing, and am constantly learning lessons every day on how I can better love, respect and honour myself.
11 Ways To Love Yourself More
1. Honour and love your body, no matter what shape or size you are. You have this beautiful vessel to experience life through, be grateful for every function, system, organ and limb. Every cell in your body, all 37 trillion of them, is always listening and responding to how you feel and what messages you are sending them, so send them all some good juju won't yah!
2. Have a set of standards of how you treat others, and how you allow others to treat you. If someone does not meet those standards and treats you like you are less then, they are not your person. Yes people have bad days, but there is a difference between a bad day and a pattern. Learn to notice the difference and be treated the way you deserve to be treated.
3. Speak your truth with love, clarity, confidence and authenticity. Don't silence your voice in fear of how other people will react. Know that how they react is a projection of their own stuff, not an indication of yours.
4. Nourish your body with healthy food and activities. Nourish your mind with stillness, knowledge and growth.
5. Take care of yourself first. Fill your own cup before you help someone fill theirs. You can't serve at a higher level on an empty tank.
6. Build healthy boundaries with your time and energy. You are allowed to say 'no' to things that aren't aligned with you, that you don't truly want to do, or are simply too tired to and don't have the bandwidth for. Honour yourself.
7. Speak about others with love and support, celebrate their successes and honour their journey. Yes this is self-love too. The way we speak about others is a reflection of how we feel about ourselves, so let that love shine bright.
8. Be kind and compassionate to others. You have enough love inside of you to hold space for people, no matter what, even when they don't. Be the light.
9. Respect your body and who you let into your sacred space. Someone should earn the right and privilege to be intimate with you.
10. Seek healing and expansion. You are a divine being and the greatest expression of self-love is working your way back to the light and source of love that you were created from. You are worth the time, money and energy.
11. Acknowledge yourself. Create a list, on a daily or weekly basis, where you write down things that you would like to acknowledge yourself for. The smallest of tasks like brushing your teeth for a full 2 minutes, taking a few conscious breaths, smiling to yourself in the mirror, they all count and should be acknowledged. Showing yourself appreciation is a beautiful expression of self-love.
“perhaps we should love ourselves so fiercely, that when others see us they know exactly how it should be done.”
I love you,
(photo by Dani B)